Thursday, July 12, 2012

Notes From The Center of the Universe

Nebraska Hwy 20
Old Danny is one tired Boy. It’s a good thing we only had a 400-mile day. I might have had to carry him that last 100 had we done a 500 miler . . . oh that’s right. I carry him anyway.

This Major Motorcycle Pilgrimage Across America looked like a big trip on paper. I told him to wait till he sees it on the ground. He told me not to worry about it. He said if I did my job, he’d do his.

Well, I’m not one bit tired. It’s ODB who’s DOA tonight.

Here’s a list of all the really interesting things we saw traversing Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota today on US 83.

            1. Um, let’s see. I’m sure there was something . . .

2. Let me think a minute here. I have it!

3. Lots and lots of empty space, a steady wind in your face, prairie land to beat the band, and road kill on every hill.

(Okay. YOU try writing a report every night and see what YOU come up with.)
Comanche National Grasslands

There was an area in northern Kansas and southern Nebraska that reminded my rider very much of his boyhood hometown, Cedar Falls, Iowa. Of course that sent him off on a wistful tangent. He decided that in his heart of hearts, the answer to the question, “Where are you from?” would be Cedar Falls, Iowa. Never mind that he’s not lived there since 1966. He lived there from age 3 to age 20.

Then he decided he could refine the location further by adding the address, “2604 College Street” to the answer. This, the home he lived in with his parents, two brothers, and two sisters all 17 of those years.

Anyway, seeing towns that looked very much like CF sparked a strong feeling of being near the center of the universe. All that passed as we moved north into the plains and then rolling hills – nothing about Cedar Falls in those areas.

Here’s a motorcycle’s dilemma illustrated well today. Nebraska takes good care of its roads and those roads are a joy to travel. However, in Nebraska we experienced repeated delays waiting for a pilot car to take us through miles-long maintenance projects. Enter South Dakota and the road quality drops way, way down – think washboard driving. However, there were zero delays for road maintenance in South Dakota. What’s the preference: long delays, or bad roads?
Observation for the day: A huge feedlot (think thousands of cattle crowded together in small pens standing knee deep in manure) is situated close to the highway. Managers of this factory farm operation have planted a row of trees between the feedlot and the road. Do you suppose they think no one will now notice there is a feedlot on the other side of those trees? The ungodly stench from the place about plugged up my induction system.

Let me give this dead horse one more beating and I’ll stop . . . (maybe)
We arrive in Pierre, SD. As I said at the top, ODB is DOA. He always fills my tank before we stop for the night as to have a full one to go on in the morning. Anyway, Mr. “I’ll Do My Part, You Do Yours” fills me up with – choke – regular!

“What the hell are you doing, Buddy?”
 “Oh, sorry M.E. I just wasn’t paying attention. I made a mistake. Okay?”
 “Right. Like this isn’t payback for me writing that if you looked like George Clooney I’d burn a tank of this crap.”
 “No way. But just for the record, I DO look like George Clooney.”
 “You DO look like George, alright. George Burns!”



Song for the day: Glen Campbell’s “Wichita Lineman”.





No comments:

Post a Comment