Saturday, July 7, 2012

Start Here

Allow, please, a word of explanation. Old Danny Boy (ODB) dropped this task on me and I’ve been anxious since the day he mentioned it. That was a long time ago – over a year ago – when he was planning his Major Motorcycle Pilgrimage Across America (MMPAA) 2011. That trip was scuttled when I (yes, this is the Mighty Mary Ellen writing) needed a new engine. ODB had to have the best engine money could buy, so bye-bye MMPAA 2011.

 Anyway, ODB decided that it was my turn to write the nightly update for the 2012 edition of the MMPAA. Did he let me practice? No. Did he give me any parameters, instructions, or advice? Nope. He just said, “Wing it.” He assured me that I would find my voice and things would work out, or not. “Just like the trip itself,” he said. So, here I am on Day One, sitting in a low rent rendezvous on Sunset Strip (really!) in Mountain Home, Idaho.

 The “$34 Single” sign on the Thunderbird Motel caught ODB’s attention at the last second. He almost wrecked us making a tight turn to get into the driveway. A stooped over woman from India unlocked the office door, then disappeared behind a curtained doorway without a word. Soon, an equally stooped over Indian man came out and took my rider to look at a room. Back to the office they went where they stayed for what seemed like an awfully long time. Later, ODB grumbled that he’d had less thorough identity checks from the TSA. I guess you have to be somebody to stay at the Thunderbird Motel on Sunset Strip in down home Mountain Home, Idaho.

 Our day started at the crack o’ dawn. He was up early fussing around like he’s prone to do. She got up to see him off. How sweet! She even took pictures. They had a few love words. Then she tried to kiss him through the opening of his new Schuberth C3 full face helmet. Not a good idea – only a slight concussion for her, but still, a bad way to kiss.

 Note to ODB: Next time you’re kissing her goodbye, take off your stupid helmet!

 He’s been conflicted anyway, leaving her for 31 days to go off riding with me, the FORMER love of his life. He feels so blessed (his word, not mine) to have a woman who understands his need to ride and he talks about her all the time. I mean . . . before, it was just the two of us; ODB and me. When he wanted to ride, off we went. Now he’s coupled up and that’s made a big difference. He still rides me whenever he wants to. He just doesn’t want to as much as he used to. Me? I used to have the man cave to myself. Now, I share the half-the-garage cave with a lime sherbet Vespa. Big changes in these past few years. But you know what? I think it’s for the better. The guy is SO HAPPY it’s ridiculous. He doesn’t even mind driving back and forth from Salem to Eugene for work every day, he’s so happy, just so he can come home to her.

 But, for the next 30 days it’s ODB and the MME. We’re on MMPAA 12, and it should be amazing. Today was a great start. As we headed northbound on I-5, the sun was coming up on one side; the moon was setting on the other. Traffic was so light it was like we were shooting a Harley-Davidson commercial, the kind where the rider doesn’t have to share the road with another soul.

 The usually windy Columbia Gorge was eerily calm. We noticed the smoke from a tug boat on the river was rising straight up in the air. The river was dead flat under brilliant blue sky.

 He stopped about five times to shed layers of clothing as we left home at 48 degrees and arrived Mountain Home at 88 degrees. He went from full leathers and heated gloves to shirt and jeans.

 So . . . we’re on the road and our first destination point is Tippy Toe (aka Brownsville), Texas. Why Brownsville, Texas? So we can ride US Hwy 83 from Mexico to Canada, duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment