Friday, August 3, 2012

Home

Home
Salem, OR

We cross Shasta Lake in the moonlight under a sky filled with stars. Old Danny Boy had the throttle locked on 55, I wasn’t even in high gear. As we rumbled along the otherwise empty freeway, he made a resolution for the day. No moping. In fact, this would be a day of celebration – a ride to relish.

The trek across Northern California was beautiful. The sun rose over Mt Shasta and illuminated the jagged peaks to the west.

As the day progressed, so did the throttle. By midmorning we were flying along with traffic as I-5 drops from the Siskiyou Mountains into our beautiful home state, Oregon.
JP had a cold drink for ODB

We had an 11 AM meet-up set in Springfield with blog master, John Perry. He takes my e-mails, fixes them up pretty, and then posts them on the blog he set up especially for me. You may be reading it now.

...and a kiss for ME!
Jonathan Perry witnessed the event and Art Kennedy took the photos.

And then it was on to Salem. He makes this trip ten times a week; he lives in Salem and works in Springfield. But in the context of MMPAA 12, that last 65-mile leg seemed quite short.

If you’re interested in details, there is more information below.

But for now, I’m going to call this done. ODB is back with The Love of His Life who can, and does, love him back. He returns to work driving a big green bus that bends in the middle on Monday.

Me? I’m happy to be home safe and well. And frankly, I’m looking forward to some alone time with that lime sherbet Vespa scooter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Master John Perry reports: “As of 12 Noon, August 3, 2012, (the blog) “Travels With the Mighty Mary Ellen (and ODB)” had 1,190 views, including 94 from the U.K., 86 from Russia, 4 from Germany, 1 from South Korea, and 1 determined soul from Malaysia.”

MMPAA 12 covered 11,193 miles in 31 days (25 riding and 6 resting).

We traveled in 32 states and the District of Columbia listed here in order of appearance.
Oregon
Idaho
Utah
Colorado
A memento for JP
New Mexico
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
South Dakota
North Dakota
Minnesota
Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania
New York
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
Washington DC
Virginia
West Virginia
Maryland
West Virginia
Ohio
Kentucky
Ohio
Indiana
Illinois
Missouri
Kansas
Colorado
Utah
Nevada
California
Oregon
(Ed. note:  It's been my intense pleasure to create this blog for my friend Dan.  What Dan has lived is one of the most amazing experiences anyone can hope to accomplish in a lifetime, and to "be there" with him is privilege I will never forget.  Like I said in 2009, what it is, is envy.  Congratulations Dan!  So where are we going next year? - JP)  

7 comments:

  1. ODB and MME, you inspire me. Many thanks.
    Art Kennedy, as Solo Solar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being part of the home crew while the stars of this show were out on the road. I'm feeling kinda sad it's over, but if I know Dan and Mary Ellen, they won't be able to sit still for very long.

    JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a pleasure following this journey. Welcome home! I look forward to seeing you Monday morning. Also, thanks JP. Know that you are missed. As it was, and shall always be, I tip my hat to you kind sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan,Thank you for taking this journey and bringing us along with you. I was at times closing my eyes a feeling the wind and the rumble of the MME.You made me smile and brought a few tears as well.I,along with JP have feelings of envy.Welcome Home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just another note: Dan called the day before and told us he would be at the Arco station in Springfield at 11 AM the next day. After 11,000 miles he pulled into the station at 11:03. He had to wait for a long left turn light. Now THAT'S a bus driver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad, Thanks to you and the Might Mary Ellen for sharing your epic ride. I am so proud of you, thanks for teaching me to enjoy the journey. I love you!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete