Monday, April 29, 2013

ODB Does Hawaii With SOB (Some Other Bike)

This morning I dressed in the dark. It was easy as I had my Motorcycle Man clothes laid out and ready. I’ve been thinking about this day, planning for it, and waiting for it from the moment Sue suggested we honeymoon on Maui for a week, and then have Becky here for a week as a graduation gift. My riding reservation at the Eagle Rider rental shop was for 9 AM. I was ready to walk out the
door at 5:30! Hawaii is my 49th state. Only Alaska waits to be checked off my “States I’ve Ridden” list. I was eager to get going on the day’s ride, to say the least.

After waiting around for what seemed like six hours for Sue and Becky to get up and get ready it was finally 8:30. I dropped them off near Black Rock Beach for a morning of snorkeling, and then made it to the mo-cy rental place by 8:50. By 9:05 I was rolling northbound along Honoapilliani Highway, under sunny skies, with 80 degrees, a gentle breeze, and plenty of sunscreen on my arms and face. Although helmets are not required in Hawaii, I wore one. If nothing else, it kept the sun off my bald head. Though most of the native bikers I’ve seen here ride in shorts, no shirt, and flip-flops, I had on jeans, a T-shirt, and actual shoes – probably the only biker on the island thusly adorned. My motorcycle today was a second-cousin of The Mighty Mary Ellen, a 2013 Softail Heritage. I wanted my ride to be as close as possible to ME’s size and style. This was the best I could do. I was comfortable enough on my rental mo-cy and had no trouble acclimating to the differences.
 
For a map of today's ride, CLICK HERE.
 
I knew I was in for some narrow roads as I had done some checking with other riders as well as at the rental shop. Now I strongly suspect that no one I talked to had actually done this ride or they would have said something like, “You must be out of your freakin’ mind!”
There were sections of this road that made the Road to Hana look like a freeway. I am not kidding when I say this was the most dangerous, technically challenging, and terrifying “road” I have ever had the pleasure of riding. It was an adventure, to say the least.
The road narrows to six feet wide in places, with a sheer rock wall on one side, and a cliff to oblivion on the other. It twisted and turned so hard that 5 MPH was too fast in places. There is one move that this mo-cy rider dreads, that being the extreme right-hand hairpin that is also steeply uphill. They were there, but add a layer of gravel to make it more challenging.
“WATCH FOR FALLING ROCKS” signs were common – as were fallen rocks. So I not only had to wonder if a car might be coming along on this goat path, I had to wonder if there were going to be rocks that had to be avoided. Sometimes there were both.
Makena State Park
I met a car on a very narrow section. I had the inside, next to the rock wall; he had the outside, next to the precipice (Guardrail? What guardrail). He was over as far as he could – or would – go, I had so little room to pass that I had to lean the bike over so my handlebar didn’t hit his mirrors. Of course I had my feet down and was “walking” the bike at that point. But still, this was absolutely, ridiculously, outrageously, and unabashedly . . . fun (especially since I survived to write about it).
 
I have NEVER been so happy, relieved, and thankful to see a yellow line between two lanes of traffic as I was when that so-called road finally became an actual highway again.
I finished the loop around the northern end of Maui, and then headed down the west side of the lower portion of the island to an unbelievably beautiful area near Makena State Park.
 
From there it was back up to Lahaina. By the time I fueled the bike and pulled into the rental yard, it was 1 PM exactly. My four-hour rental time had expired and I was about ready to expire myself. Only 88 miles on the odometer, but it felt more like 500. Oh yes, it rained on the way back to Lahaina. Not a problem, really. It was warm water and it felt good to cool off. Besides, it wasn’t my bike getting road-sprayed. For $114, Eagle Rider can clean up their own mo-cy.

No comments:

Post a Comment